Tuesday, May 5, 2009

1 Down 2 to Go!

One of my sister-in-laws published a post in her blog entitled, "How I Survived My First Trimester." I got a huge kick out of it and since we are due within a week of each other it's now my turn to describe how I survived MY first trimester. (Thanks for the inspiration sis.)

With each pregnancy my nausea gets worse! This is my fourth and it nearly did me in. I literally felt like I was going to hurl ALL the time. It came in the morning, you'd expect that...hence the term, "morning sickness" and it stayed for lunch. I was still feeling sick by the time dinner rolled around, so here's a big "shout-out" of thanks to a sweetheart hubby who took over a lot of dinner making so I could avoid looking at any raw meat. In the evening, guess what? Still feeling pretty crumby, I mean talk about overstaying your welcome, didn't anyone ever explain to this brand of nausea that that is incredibly rude. I welcomed bedtime just so I could go to sleep and stop feeling sick.

Every now and then I'd get a craving for something off the wall, (and just like with the other pregnancies) that was the only thing I could possibly fathom eating at the time. So there were a couple nights we all ate chili cheese dogs, or fried eggs and toast. Thanks family for putting up with me. Oh and let's not forget the night I just had to have a slice or 3 of watermelon. Mind you this was in early Spring. Watermelon is expensive at this time of year...thanks honey.

Energy or the lack thereof was a huge issue. So much that one day Mike compared me to a cat and we all know just how productive they are! I usually responded by reminding him I'm trying to grow a baby here and that is a full time job - I'm even working while I'm sleeping!

Ahhh, sleep. It would be so nice to sleep a whole night through without those interrupting calls of nature. But I must say it does prepare you for those late night/early morning interruptions the baby will bring. I really like my sleep and Mike nows just how useless I am without a decent night.

So all in all I really don't know how I made it through my first trimester, I felt sick and tired ALL the time, I spent most of the time looking at the calendar while calculating how much longer... Oh and I complained a lot, sorry Mike. Maybe we should ask him how HE made it through my first trimester.