Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Hair Cut at 3AM!!

This was not the time of our choosing, but Emma went to bed with gum in her mouth. (I'm blaming Michael because he put the kids to bed that night, I turned in early.) Well she woke us up crying because the gum had smeared all over her arm and in her hair...great! In fact her long, beautiful hair was stuck to her arm, poor girl. Well, after Mike tried a wet paper towel, he asked me for advice. At 3am I wasn't feeling incredibly resourceful, but I suggested baby wipes - they can clean up anything.* Well, after about 4 or 5 baby wipes the gum was softened up and coming off, but we still had to deal with the hair. I said, "Just cut off the affected area and we'll deal with the rest in the morning." Then I rolled over and tried to get back to sleep.


The next day was Sunday, we discovered that many people were fighting illnesses in our ward so Mike stayed home with the kids, but I had a lesson to teach so I went. When I came home Emma surprised me with a huge smile on her face and a new short do. Emma and I had a goal to grow her hair out long enough to donate to Locks of Love, but now she'll need to start over. That's how it goes sometimes, fortunately Emma is loving her short hair and I don't have to deal with long hair snarls - for awhile anyway.

Daddy did Emma's hair! Now Mike is really good at cutting men's hair, but I was a little cautious about him taking on Emma's mane. I figured if he made a mess of it we could always get it fixed. But surprisingly he did a really good job. (Pics are coming, I'm actually not posting this at home, I'm at Mike's mom's house.)

*I have discovered baby wipes are not only good for baby's bottom, but crayon on the folding chairs at church, crayon/ink on the wall, grease spots on table cloths, and now gum off a little girls arm.