Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sweats and PJs

So my wonderful & talented sis-in-law, Dana, wrote a blog piece titled "Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom." This post was admitting her need to change her wardrobe from the boring t-shirt and jeans we all fall back on as our "jobs" take us nowhere of real interest or formality, unless you're counting the grocery store or doctor's office as a cause to dress up. And given all the people I've seen in their PJ's while shopping, it's doubtful that would be the case.

It was hilarious and sadly very true! Except I have a further confession to make. When I'm home for the day with no errands or chauffeuring to do, I don't even step up to jeans, it's strictly my sweats or my pajama bottoms. Why get dressed when the baby's just going to wipe her nose on me? And the four year old is going to going to get me with her sticky hands, and at some point during the day I'm going to sit in play-doh, chocolate or something worse - depending on how the day's going.

In fact as I write this, I am wearing a stylish sweater over my nightgown, and it's only 8:45pm! I'm wasted by 7pm! Another sad truth.

AND now that I think of it, I've noticed I do this more often in the winter. Why would a shut-in dress up? And because we live in the northern half of Utah there are about 3 months out of every year where it's just too bitter to go outside! Here's where spring offers it's annual hope. Let's go outside and play! And now that I have an older daughter who has informed me I sometimes embarrass here, I better ditch the sweats!

Funny how a little thing like, getting dressed, losing the pontail and a little makeup can lift the mood. Ahh, the power of eyeliner, you never cease to amaze me!