Friday, February 25, 2011

His Way or The Highway

I have to preface this post by saying, normally I don't mind when the kids are off-track. As long as it is warm weather and I can take them to the park, the zoo...etc. But when it's bitter cold and we are stuck in doors...it's a completely different story.

This last time my kids were off-track it was rather cold and I was dreading the seemingly endless days of fighting, yelling and too much TV due to the cabin fever we would be experiencing. And then, an invitation came that was so good it must have been delivered straight from heaven itself!

Kids off track?
Try The Recreation Center for fun activities,
swimming and new friends!

What a golden opportunity to save them from boredom and me from insanity! I talked to Mike and it didn't take long to convince him of the sheer genius this plan presented. Then I promptly signed them up for the entire 3 weeks as I gratefully forked over the dough this little slice of heaven would cost us. Now granted it wasn't all day, (only 3 hours each day), but it was enough that it gave me and the kids a break from each other and kept them entertained.

Well I forgot to take into consideration that Aaron sometimes struggles with change. All in all, he did pretty well! There was only one day that he didn't go, instead claiming that he really, really wanted to come home and watch me clean the house. (Was I really going to clean the house ALL DAY? No way! But I told him that as a deterrent...it didn't work.) Towards the end of the 3 weeks he started complaining that he didn't want to go anymore, he just wanted to stay home and play - maybe I got carried away and over-scheduled them, it's a possibility I'm willing to own up to.

There were only 2 other kids at the Rec Center that they knew. Emma makes friends quickly and seemed very comfortable with the situation. Aaron also makes friends easily, but as you're beginning to see - doesn't really like his routine messed with. So after the off-track time was over and they returned to school we received a new opportunity...soccer! This was Aaron's response:

Mom: "Aaron, do you want to try soccer?"

Aaron: "Will Spencer be in it?" (Spencer is one of Aaron's best friends)

Mom: "No he won't."

Aaron: "Then NO! NO MORE NEW FACES!"



Okay, I guess I got my answer.