Thursday, March 11, 2010

This Little Piggy...Went Bye-Bye!

This little piggy looks like just a stuffed animal, but he's actually a bank as well. Form following function - as it relates to pigs at least. He's cutie.



I received this pig from my Mother in Law. It used to belong to my husband's Grandmother & I love the ornate decoration. Don't worry Mom, This one was a keeper. And if I ever change my mind I'll return him to you.
This was Emma's pick.
If you know me well, (or knew me when - take your pick), then you'll know I had this pretty amazing pig collection. It started when I was in high school. I was out on a date with my boyfriend and we were killing some time before a movie. We were downtown and we stopped in this little Japanese antique's shop. It was there that I found this cute little piggy bank, (no picture sorry). After that I was kind of hooked. It started with just piggy banks and then evolved into anything pigs: pens, salt & pepper shakers, notepads, toys and of course stuffed animals. I got very good at knowing where to find them, it was as if I had a sixth sense. Thanks to family and friends who supported my habit the collection eventually totalled over 200! And at the time I thought that was a pretty cool.

Well - flash forward a few years and I became a mom. When my second was born, we boxed up the pigs so he could have a room. (Yes they took up their own room, well at least an entire wall in a room on 4 book shelves - ridiculous!) Flash forward 5 years and I'm sooo over the pig collection. I donated them to D.I. the other day. With exception to a few that meant something special to me and a few I saved to give to friends and family.

As I opened the first box I have to admit I was physically ill! Why did I collect all of these?! I could have spent that money on something much more worthwhile. Live and Learn, right? I had a mini freak-out, called Mike for support and then rolled up my sleeves! The kids were a great help, mainly because tearing the carefully wrapped bubble wrap off each pig reminded them of Christmas! They were so cute, they lovingly created a family of piggies on my family room floor, while I tried not to vomit in disgust at myself! They wanted to keep all of them...NO WAY was that happening, I allowed them to pick out one stuffed pig and one piggy bank. Did Emma have to pick the biggest stuffed pig I owned?! We did a little research to see if there was a market for these, but not really. Next time I'm collecting something that increases in value!
So, here's to de-junking and growing up! Every now and then I do both of those.