Thursday, April 23, 2009

Where Were Your Shoes?

Emma has an aversion to shoes. In fact all my kids do, (they get it from me - I prefer to be barefoot or at the very most just socks or slippers). So because I understand this aversion I have never been too hard on them, although it does make my day a little more aggravating when I'm constantly hunting for the socks and shoes they took off immediately after walking through the door. Well, Emma also has an intense dislike of sneakers, "There not pretty Mom and I want to look like a princess!" After all you can't dress up in your fanciest gown and then expect the poor girl to wear sneakers with it can you? So, in an attempt to let the girly-girl side experience everything wonderful about "dress-up" I have let her wear her nice Sunday shoes with basically every outfit she owns, yes even the sweats. That way she feels like a princess and I save myself a pointless argument with my very stubborn 6 year old. But, after what happened at the park this battle is not so pointless anymore.

We were having a picnic at the park with Aunt Coco and her friend/roommate. It was a beautiful, sunny day so we threw out our blankets under a nice big tree and proceeded to eat our *dinosaur sandwiches* (I'll have to elaborate later). Then Emma took off her Sunday shoes and ran around the park, no big surprise there. Until it was time to leave and we found that Emma's feet were covered in sticky, sapping seeds the lovely shade trees had been dropping everywhere. So frustrated in fact that she found it necessary to shout, "How do I get all these Damn things off!" Now this is funny (not the cussing part, well that's kind of funny I have to admit), but I had this great idea for a really cute picture of the kids by the tree, but there was no way that was happening now, Emma was (literally) cursing the tree and by now in a very foul mood, so instead I got this picture.